2017 Graduate Student Conference
Presence and Absence
How do humans conceive and perceive of presence? Absence?
We embark on this conference in light of recent scholarship addressing presence in the study of religion. How do we as scholars respond to these questions of experience across disciplines? We seek to facilitate conversations about the role that the transcendent has both as present and as absent in the human experience across all traditions and cultures.
- 2:30pm Panel: The Physical, Literary, and Cultural Linguistics of Presence
- 5:30pm Keynote Address [GISB 0001]
Peter Manseau - Smithsonian Institution Curator of American Religious History
- 9:00am Panel: The Mobility Of Presence In The Material
- 10:45am Panel: The Memorializations of Biblical Objects, Space, & the Notions of Divinity
- 1:30pm Panel: Spirit Communication & the Transcendence of Boundaries
- 3:00pm Panel: The Uncertain Connectivity with Mechanical Bodies
- 4:30pm Presentation: The Presence of Absence-Theoretical Reflections