The Department of Religious Studies at Indiana University is a premier venue for re-imagining the academic study of religion.
We produce innovative, interdisciplinary research that pushes the boundaries of the field. Our faculty study error and love and book cultures, healing, wonder, and failure, empires, tourists and trees, mountains, magic, and protest—studying religion as a global phenomenon from antiquity through the contemporary world. expand->>
February 18, 5:30Jeremy Biles
"Lines of Seduction: Associations on Drawing and Delirium"
Hoagy Carmichael Room, Morrison Hall
February 29, 12:30Holiday Hight Tea!
Sycamore Hall 224
March 24, 12:00David L. Haberman
“Anthropomorphic Techniques in the Worship of Mount Govardhan”
IUPUI Arts and Humanities Institute UL 4115P
CSRES Call for Proposals"Wonder and the Natural World"
March 1, 2016
- Professor Sonia Velázquez presented at "Happy in the Life to come": 400 Years of Cervantine Afterlives
- Professor Candy Brown named President-Elect of the American Society of Church History
- Professor Winnifred Sullivan wins grant by Luce Foundation to study "The Politics of Religion At Home and Abroad"
- Professor Sarah Imhoff awarded New Frontiers Grant
- Professor Jason Mokhtarian finalist for 2015 Jewish Book Award
- Listen to Professor Heather Blair talk about her book Real and Imagined
- Professor Cooper Harris is interviewed on WFHB about Zora Neale Hurston
- Professor Lisa Sideris featured in special issue of The Journal for the Study of Religion, Nature and Culture
- Professor Winnifred Sullivan wins AAR Award for Excellence in the Study of Religion: Analytical-Descriptive Studies
- Read professor Winifred Sullivan and grad student Jacob Boss' responses to the Indiana Religious Freedom Act debate in the CSRES Forum
- Professor Aaron Stalnaker awarded Chiang Ching-kuo Foundation Scholar Grant
- Professor Michael Ing Named Scholar with "Enhancing Life" Project
The Consortium for the Study of Religion, Ethics, and Society(CSRES)
For more information about events, sign up for our weekly e-newsletter.
- Help support continued excellence in our department
- URSA movie night
In the Light of Reverence
Sycamore Hall 0013
with Professor Haberman
- CFP 2016 graduate student conference
“Death, Dying, and the Undead:
(Re)Conceptualizing Death and Religion”
Deadline: February 1
Keynote Speaker: Caitlin Doughty
- URSA conference CFP
submit to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Bill Gallagher Undergraduate
Deadline: April 18
- Stein Fellowship
Applications now open
Deadline Feb 15, 2016
Submissions being accepted for the new Undergraduate journal Invocations
All are welcome
- The Department of Religious Studies turns 50!
- Anne Brackemyre awarded the Undergraduate Honors Essay Research Grant
- Undergraduates Sarah Kissel and Hannah Murray awarded Mary Jo Weaver Scholarships
- IU Ethics Bowl Team Returns to National Championship
- Alum Coleen Leahy shares her story.
Politics of Religious Freedom
Winnifred Sullivan, University of Chicago Press, 2015
Jeremy Schott, Liverpool University Press, 2015
Finalist, National Jewish Book AwardRabbis, Sorcerers, Kings, and Priests Jason Mokhtarian, University of California Press, forthcoming July 2015
Real and Imagined
Heather Blair, Harvard University Press, 2015