The Department of Religious Studies at Indiana University is a premier venue for re-imagining the academic study of religion.
We produce innovative, interdisciplinary research that pushes the boundaries of the field. Our faculty study error and love and book cultures, healing, wonder, and failure, empires, tourists and trees, mountains, magic, and protest—studying religion as a global phenomenon from antiquity through the contemporary world. expand->>
- Yvonne Sherwood
"The Abrahamic/Hagaramic, or Abraham the non-European”
September 11, 5:30 pm
Hoagy Carmichael Room,
James S. Ackerman Lectureship in Religious Studies
- Courtney Bender
“The Work of Art in the Age of ‘Inarticulate Religion’”
September 16, 5:30 pm
Hoagy Carmichael Room,
Professor Lisa Sideris awarded Beth Wood Distinguished Service-Learning Faculty Award
- Michael Ing awarded grant by the Chiang Ching-Kuo Foundation
The Consortium for the Study of Religion, Ethics, and Society (CSRES)
call for Research Proposals.
Deadline Sept 12
- Professor Heather Blair awarded 2014 Trustees Teaching Award
- Constance Furey receives 2014 James P. Holland Award for Exemplary Teaching and Service to Students
- Listen to Prof. Constance Furey on WFHB Interchange
- David Haberman Receives Guggenheim Fellowship
For more information about events, sign up for our weekly e-newsletter.
- Alumn Nancy Hiller shares her story.
- Ph. D. Candidate Travis Cooper's Essay "Serpents, Novelty, and Academic Fetish" was just published in the Bulletin for the Study of Religion
- Congratulations to Shelby Everett who was awarded the 2013-2014 Excellence in Service-Learning Student Award!
- We are proud to announce our Department's Phi Beta Kappa inductees:
- Ashlee Andrews and Kristin Francoeur awarded travel grants
- Congratulations to Kristin Francoeur who received a 2014 Mellon Innovating International Research, Teaching, and Collaboration award. Help support continued excellence in our department
A Ministry of Presence
Winnifred Sullivan, University of Chicago Press, 2014
Thinking Orthodox in Modern Russia: Culture, History, Context
Patrick Michelson, University of Wisconsin Press, 2014
The Healing Gods
Candy Gunther Brown, Oxford University Press, 2013
- Eusebius of Caesarea:
Tradition and Innovations
Jeremy Schott, Harvard University Press, 2013