The Collections: Slocum Puzzle Collection
The Jerry Slocum Collection of mechanical puzzles embodies a lifetime pursuit of the intriguing and the perplexing. The result is the largest assemblage of its kind in the world, with over 30,000 puzzles and 4,000 puzzle related books. Unlike word or jigsaw puzzles, mechanical puzzles are hand-held objects that must be manipulated to achieve a specific goal. Popular examples include the Rubik's cube and tangrams. The puzzles in the collection represent centuries of mathematical, social, and recreational history from across five continents.
About 400 puzzles from the larger collection are on display at the Lilly Library in the Slocum Puzzle Room. Learn more about the Slocum Puzzle Collection.
- The Jerry Slocum Mechanical Puzzle Collection
- Users may view images of selected puzzles by keyword-searching the database, or browsing the puzzle classification scheme developed by Mr. Slocum.
- Jerry Slocum Papers
- The Slocum mss., ca. 1955-2009, consists of the papers of Jerry Slocum and the Slocum Puzzle Foundation.
- Jerry Slocum's Bibliography
- Find books by Slocum, articles by and about Slocum and his puzzles, event memorabilia, lectures, and awards
- Jerry Slocum DVD Collection
- Interviews, news broadcasts and lectures on puzzles as well as selections from various International Puzzle Party conference programs
- Jerry Slocum Book and Periodical Collection:
If you have any questions about the collection, scheduling a tour, or group presentations, please contact:
Lilly Library Public Services
liblilly [at] indiana.edu