Every (other) Friday, LAL members and others interested in language assessment get together to discuss assessment articles of interest and present recent findings.
If you are interested in participating in the group, please email the lab director, Dr. Sun-Young Shin (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Spring 2018 LAL Reading Group Schedule
Meeting place: BH 807
Meeting time: 1:20pm – 2:20pm on Fridays (or 2:30pm on some Fridays when there is no SLS colloquium)
- 01/19/18 – Yena Park: Duijm, K., Schoonen, R., & Hulstijn, J. H. (in press). Professional and non-professional raters’ responsiveness to fluency and accuracy in L2 speech: An experimental Approach. Language Testing. 1-27.
- 01/26/18 – Amy Soto: Tigchelaar, M., Bowles, R. P., Winke, P., & Gass, S. (2017). Assessing the Validity of ACTFL Can‐Do Statements for Spoken Proficiency: A Rasch Analysis. Foreign Language Annals.
- 02/02/18 – Senyung Lee: Cheng, J., & Matthews, J. (2018). The relationship between three measures of L2 vocabulary knowledge and L2 listening and reading. Language Testing, 35, 3-25.
- 02/09/18 – Suchada Sanonguthai: Huang, H. T. D., Hung, S. T. A., & Plakans, L. (2018). Topical knowledge in L2 speaking assessment: Comparing independent and integrated speaking test tasks. Language Testing, 35, 27-49.
- 02 16/18 – Jaesu Choi: Yalçın, Ş., & Spada, N. (2016). Language aptitude and grammatical difficulty: An EFL classroom-based study. Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 38, 239-263.
- 02/23/18 – Dr. Shin: Kang, H. S., & Veitch, H. (2017). Mainstream Teacher Candidates’ Perspectives on ESL Writing: The Effects of Writer Identity and Rater Background. TESOL Quarterly, 51, 249-274.
- 03/02/18 – Conference Practice Presentation(s): Jean for AAAL, Dr. Shin, Senyung, and Yena for LARC
- 03/30/18 – Kimberly Wan
- 04/06/18 – Jaehyun Ahn
- 04/13/18 – Bihua Chen
- 04/20/18 – Jean Chun