Skip to main content
Indiana University Bloomington

HomeFolklore InstituteEthnomusicology Institute

Visiting Scholars

Scholars in folklore and/or ethnomusicology who wish to conduct independent research while in residence at the Folklore Institute and/or Ethnomusicology Institute may apply to be a Visiting Scholar. Visiting Scholars have the opportunity to work with a faculty member, use the facilities of the Herman B. Wells Library, and take advantage of other resources on the Indiana University Bloomington campus.

  • Eligibility
  • Faculty Sponsor
  • How to Apply
  • Approved Applications
  • Travel and Housing Information
  • Campus Services for Visiting Scholars
  • Eligibility

    Scholars who wish to apply to be a Visiting Scholar in the department must first seek out a faculty member able to support his or her research (called a Faculty Sponsor). Find a listing of our faculty here. Contact the faculty member directly and send him or her the following items via e-mail:

  • Research Proposal (no more than two pages, and including proposed start and end dates)
  • Curriculum Vitae
  • Resume
  • Once the faculty member receives this information and agrees in writing to serve as Faculty Sponsor, the faculty member will forward this information to the department's Visiting Scholar Coordinator. The full application process then begins.

    Back to top

    How To Apply

    Domestic scholars should submit their application a minimum of two months before the proposed start date. This means that a Faculty Sponsor must be secured more than two months before the proposed start date.

    International scholars should submit their application a minimum of eight months before the proposed start date to allow enough time to complete the J-1 visa request process, which can take four to six months. This means that a Faculty Sponsor must be secured more than eight months before the proposed start date.

    A complete Visiting Scholar application must include the following:

  • A completed application form. Find it here.PDF file
  • A commitment in writing from a Department of Folklore and Ethnomusicology faculty member stating he or she will serve as Faculty Sponsor.
  • A proposal of no more than two pages of the work and research to be accomplished while at Indiana University Bloomington, including a specific explanation of why working at the Department of Folklore and Ethnomusicology is necessary to facilitate this research.
  • A current Curriculum Vitae.
  • A detailed summary of recent research.
  • Official results of a recognized English language test (e.g., TOEFL, IELTS) with a sufficient score; or signed documentation from an academic institution or English language school attesting to the scholar's proficiency in English
  • Send the completed application via e-mail to the department's Visiting Scholar Coordinator, Angus Martin, at Once the completed application is received, it will be reviewed for eligibility and approval by the department, usually at the next full faculty meeting after the applicatoin submission. Visiting Scholar applications are not accepted during the academic summer sessions.

    Approved Applications

    If the application is approved by the faculty, an invitation letter will be created for the applicant, and the following items must be sent via e-mail as soon as possible:

    Domestic Scholars:

    International Scholars:

    Once all required materials are received, the department will request Visa Certification (Form DS-2019) with the Indiana University Office of International Services on the scholar's behalf. When the DS-2019 has been issued, an e-mail confirmation is sent that includes an International Scholar Pre-Arrival Guidebook. Please consult the website of the Office of International Services for addtional information on J-1 scholars.

    International applicants should be aware that the United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS) now requires the collection of a one-time SEVIS fee of US $180.00 from Visiting Scholars on J-1 visas. The fee must be paid by the applicant after the DS-2019 has been issued and before the J-1 is approved. Details are available on the Office of International Service's website.

    Health insurance coverage is mandatory for all international visitors and their families. Visiting Scholars are eligible to purchase Indiana University health plans and should contact International Services for information regarding enrollment in said health plans. If comparable health insurance is provided by the scholar's home institution, it will not be necessary to arrange insurance here. However, documentation in English of that insurance must be provided upon arrival at Indiana University Bloomington. This information should include the amount and extent of coverage.

    Back to top

    Travel and Housing Information

    When making reservations for air travel, Visiting Scholars should be sure to confirm that the final destination is Indianapolis, Indiana (international airport code: IND). The Indianapolis International Airport is located approximately 50 miles north of Bloomington.

    Transportation from Indianapolis to Bloomington:

  • Bloomington Shuttle Service
  • Limousine Service (shared ride or private)
  • Housing

    The Department of Folklore and Ethnomusicology does not arrange housing for Visiting Scholars. Visiting Scholars are expected to make their own living arrangements. Housing information is available on the following websites:

    On campus

    Off campus

  • Apartment Advisor
  • Bloomington Apartment Guide
  • The Bloomington newspaper, The Herald Times (HT), has listings in the Classified section
  • Vice Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs (a list of temporary housing listed by faculty on sabbatical or other types of leave)
  • Protecting Yourself as a Home Renter
    How to Compare Renters Insurance: Tips for Finding the Right Renters Insurance Company & the Best Rates

    Campus Services for Visiting


    Leo R. Dowling International Center (IC)
    The International Center (IC) supports international students, scholars, and their families during their time at Indiana University. In order to develop a strong sense of university community, the IC acts as a link between international students and scholars, international organizations on campus, and the Indiana University Bloomington community.

    Campus Card Services
    Visiting Scholars are encouraged to obtain a university ID card upon arrival. This card wil serve as an official photo ID and can also be used as an Indiana University library card, a Recreational Sports pass, and a debit card using the Campus Access program.

    Indiana University Bloomington Libraries
    Academics and research at Indiana University are supported by one of the finest university library systems in the nation. The 27 campus and special libraries on the Bloomington campus provide students and scholars with an outstanding collection of resources, enhanced by the latest electronic links to web-based information.

    University Information Technology Services (UITS)
    In order to use the computers on campus and access the internet, a network ID and password are required. A network ID and password can be obtained with the help of the Department of Folklore and Ethnomusicology Visiting Scholar Coordinator. UITS can also help with certain computer issues and has a large Knowledge Base available for consultation on various issues.

    Recreational Sports
    Visiting Scholars may purchase a membership to the Campus Recreational Sports facilities. A letter from the department confirming Visiting Scholar status and start and end dates is required to purchase a membership.

    Parking Operations
    Visiting Scholars are eligible to purchase campus parking permits. Please consult the Parking Operations website for eligible permits, permit pricing, and a map of campus parking.

    Back to top