Ruth M. Stone
Laura Boulton Professor of Folklore and Ethnomusicology;
Director, Ethnomusicology Institute
Office: 800 E 3rd St, Rm 233
Phone: (812) 855-0398
E-mail: stone indiana.edu
- Ph.D. Indiana University, 1979
- Music as culture and performance; theory of ethnomusicology; Africa; the Middle East
Courses Recently Taught
- History of Ideas
- Music in African Film
- Paradigms in Ethnomusicology
- Teaching Folklore & Ethnomusicology
- Pilgrimage & Music in the Middle East
- Fieldnotes in African Research
- Theory for Ethnomusicology Today. New York: Routledge, 2008.
- Garland Encyclopedia of World Music: The World’s Music: General Perspectives and Reference Tools. Vol.10. New York: Routledge, 2002.
- Garland Handbook of African Music. New York: Garland Publishing, 1999.
- Let the Inside Be Sweet: The Interpretation of Music Event among the Kpelle of Liberia. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1982.
- Music of the Kpelle of Liberia. New York: Folkways Record Corporation,
FE4385. Field recordings by Ruth M. and Verlon L. Stone, notes by Ruth M. Stone, 1972.