Director of the Ethnomusicology Institute;
Associate Professor of Folklore and Ethnomusicology
Office: 506 N. Fess 105
Phone: (812) 855-0396
E-mail: davmcdon indiana.edu
WFHB Interchange interview - On Palestinian Music
Read an IDS article here about Dr. McDonald's recent lecture on "Middle Eastern Intersections: Mobilizing Poetry in Protest Songs of the Arab World."
Read a feature on Dr. McDonald from the Center for the Study of the Middle East (CSME) newsletter here.
- Ph.D. University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, 2006
- Israel/Palestine; performance ethnography; social theory; ethnomusicological study of violence and socio-cultural trauma
Courses Recently Taught
- Music, War, & Peace
- Irish Music and Culture
- Study of Ethnomusicology
- Zimbabwean Performance and Music
- Introduction to World Music and Cultures
- Popular Culture in the Middle East
Awards and Distinctions
- Trustees Teaching Award (2012)
- New Frontiers in the Arts and Humanities Fellowship (2010-11)
- Institute for Advanced Study Interdisciplinary Research Seminar on Empathy (2009-10)
- New Frontiers Arts and Humanities Exploration Travel Fellowship (2009-10)
- Nicholas Temperley Dissertation Award, University of Illinois (2009)
- Outstanding Faculty Program Award, Arts Village, Bowling Green State University (2008)
- The American Center of Oriental Research Council of American Overseas Research Centers Fellowship (CAORC), Amman, Jordan (2005)
- Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Fellowship (DDRA) (2003-04)
- Fulbright Institute for International Education Research Fellowship (IIE) (2003-04)
- (editor) Expression, Representation, and Resistance: A Hundred Years of Music and Song among Palestinians. (forthcoming Indiana University Press, Fall 2013).
- "Imaginaries of Exile and Emergence in Israeli Jewish and Palestinian Hip-Hop." The Drama Review. (forthcoming)
- My Voice is My Weapon: Music, Nationalism, and the Poetics of Palestinian Resistance. (forthcoming Duke University Press, Fall 2012).
- "Geographies of the Body: Violence and Manhood in Palestine." Ethnomusicology Forum 19/2 (2010): 191-214.
- "Carrying Words like Weapons: Hip-Hop and the Poetics of Palestinian Identities in Israel" Min-Ad: Israel Studies in Musicology 7(2) (2009)
- "Poetics and the Performance of Violence in Israel/Palestine." Ethnomusicology 53 (1) (2009)