Professor of Folklore
Office: 506 N. Fess 101
Phone: (812) 855-4124
E-mail: elshamy indiana.edu
- Ph.D. Indiana University, 1967
- The folk narrative and the ballad; typology; social structure; religion among the folk; mental health in traditional cultures; psychological approaches and folklore theory; Africa; the Middle East
Courses Recently Taught
- Arabian Nights: East & West
- Islam Among the Folk
- Folklore Theories
- African and Middle Eastern Narratives
- Tales Women Tell in the Middle East & the Behavioral Patterns they Portray
- Folklore & Psychology
- Comparative Approaches in Folklore
Awards and Distinctions
- Daxia Forum Lecture for the Humanities and Social Sciences at East China Normal University (2011)
- The "Great China" Lecture Award, highest honor the East China Normal University bestows on a scholar. Since the University's establishment some 50 years ago, the Award has been given to only 93 other scholars.
- Elected: A Fellow of the American Folklore Society (October 2006)
- Elected “Consultant” to the Saudi Society for Folklore Studies (October 2006)
- Senior Scholar Award: Institute of Advanced Studies in Anthropology, National Museum of Ethnology, Osaka, Japan. (2002)
- "Fihrist al-guzayy`iyyât li al-ma'thûrât al-sh`biyyah al-shafâhiyyah li al-)allâmah Stith Thompson. ta`rîb Hasan El-Shamy (Motif Index of Folk-Literature, by Savant Stith Thopmson. Arabized by Hasan El-Shamy)". In: Al-Thaqâfah al-Sh`biyyah (Folk Culture) Vol. 3, No. 10 (Manama, Bahrain: Summer 2010), pp. 124-205.
- Religion Among the Folk in Egypt. Westport, Connecticut, London: Praeger, 2008.
- A Motif Index of The Thousand and One Nights. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2006.
- Archetypes and Motifs in Folklore and Literature: A Handbook, Jane Garry and Hasan El-Shamy, Eds. Armonk,NY: M.E. Sharpe, 2005.
- Types of the Folktale in the Arab World: A Demographically Oriented Tale-Type Index. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2004.