You have decided to apply to join the Contemporary Dance Program at IU. This is an excellent choice as the IU Contemporary Dance Program students are encouraged to seek their own venue for expression, such as performance, choreography, teaching, production or scholarship, and prepare for a successful career in the professional and academic field of dance.
In order to be accepted into this program you must follow the three steps listed below:
STEP 1. OPEN AN Acceptd ACCOUNT
Please open an Acceptd account, linked here https://app.getacceptd.com/iudance and apply following the instructions on getacceptd.com Invitations to audition will be sent, after
review of your Acceptd profile.
Please open an Acceptd account, linked here
and apply following the instructions on acceptd.com.
STEP 2. Apply to Become A Student at Indiana University
Open the Office of Admissions Website to explore becoming a student at Indiana University. To apply to IU online, click Online Undergraduate Admissions Application. This link will open in a new window. called the eApp - Online Admissions Application.You will need to create an account for yourself and then fill-out the online application form.
If you have questions about applying to the University, please contact the Office of Admissions. You can locate your admissions advisor by using this map.
Be sure to submit the General Admissions application by November 1 for merit scholarship consideration.
You may apply early to become a Contemporary Dance student by completing our online application form. Online application and audition registration through ACCEPTD are now open. Please prepare the following materials which will be required for the ACCEPTD online application. Upon submission via ACCEPTD, and based on the review of the following materials, you will be notified if you are accepted to participate in the audition:”
- Chronological list of dance training and dance performances from most recent to 8th grade.
- One letter of recommendation from a dance mentor, teacher or dance professional you have worked closely with who can write about your strengths and growth as a dancer.
- A thirty second video clip of yourself dancing in class or in a performance. Please tag yourself if you are in a large group.
- A written personal statement that addresses the following:
- Describe a dance performance you witnessed that inspired you.
- What are some of the differences in approach between competitive or commercial dance and artistic contemporary dance?
- What is a correction you have received from a dance teacher and how have you addressed it in your dance training?
- What other fields of interest (for example visual art, social and community service, international studies, literature, science, film, the natural world, etc.) influence you as an artist? Describe one and how it impacts you as a dancer.
STEP 2. Auditions are held on the following dates, with successful prescreen and invitation
Friday, November 13, 2015
Friday, February 12, 2016
There is an alternate short audition date Friday, March 4, 2016 for those who cannot attend either full day auditions. (Attendees take the morning dance class and show their solo directly after class).
You can direct questions to Scott Jones, BFA Liaison BFAaud@indiana.edu or call 812-856-4024. The phone line is open Tuesday through Friday 1:30-5:00 PM Eastern time. Please leave a message with your name and number, if your call goes to voicemail. After hours please leave a message.
IU Contemporary Dance | Department of Theatre, Drama, and Contemporary Dance | Lee Norvelle Center, 275 N. Jordan Ave, Bloomington, IN 47405 | (812) 855-7020