The IU Contemporary Dance Program is always making headlines. Below are headlines of our current students.
- Sophomore Kristen Zozulia was accepted into the Hutton Honors College at Indiana University.
- Sophomore Mante Baliutaviciute received both the FedEx National Merit Scholarship and the IU Prestige Scholarship. She was also invited into the National Society for Collegiate Scholars and created a dance piece for the Lithuanian Folk Dance Festival in Boston.
- Several IU Contemporary Dance Majors were selected as winners in this year’s National Society of Arts and Letters Competition in Contemporary Dance: Lalah Hazelwood, Rachel Newbrough, Joe Musiel, Katie Biegel, Leah Boresow, Tyrece Franklin, Haley McElwee, and Sarah Mattingly. Lalah Hazelwood and Rachel Newbrough were invited to perform in the NSAL’s Spring Showcase of the Arts.
- Sophomore Samantha Meslin performed with the Indianapolis City Ballet and served as choreographer for IU’s production of Lysistrata. She has also been named an Indiana University Founders Scholar and was awarded an Edward L. Hutton International Experiences Grant for Overseas Study.
- Senior Lalah Hazelwood received a Hutton Honors College Creative Activities Grant and a scholarship from Alvin Ailey Dance Theatre to attend their summer intensive.
- Senior Kaylan Knutsen received the Edward L. Hutton International Experiences scholarship to assist in a study abroad program in London this summer.
- Senior Kate Anderson received the Jane Fox Summer Study Scholarship sponsored by IU Contemporary Dance to study at the Mark Morris Summer Dance Intensive in NYC.
- Juniors Eryn Blair and Kim Fahnestock received Hutton Honors College Creative Activities Grants and will be attending the Trinity Laban Conservatory's Intensive in London.
- Several students are attending intensives; Annamarie Bustion attended the Mark Morris Winter Intensive, Joe Musiel attended the Keigwin +Company Summer Intensive, Savannah Meslin is attending the Alvin Ailey Summer Intensive, Kelli Dowling attended the Parsons Dance Summer Intensive, Rachel and Rebecca Newbrough attended the David Dorfman Intensive at Connecticut College, and Charlotte Twitchell is attending the Summer Intensive at Pointe Park.
- Sophomore Satsu Homes received the Theresa Anne Walker Scholarship for excellent in theatre and was also named an IU Founders Scholar. She also served as a choreographer for IU Theatre’s production of Lysistrata and was hired as a dancer/actor by Indiana Festival Theatre for Solana.
- Sophomore Savannah Serban has been awarded a full tuition scholarship to attend Dance Italia for summer 2012.
- Junior Amanda Leemis recently volunteered with Projects Abroad, a leading provider of international volunteer and internship programs, in Cape Town, South Africa. Learn about Amanda’s experience here: http://youtu.be/VTvVz_8ZCa4 (Link will open in new window.)